Monday, December 10, 2012

GINGERBREAD / PEPPARKAKOR

I am finally back :)
It is December again and what would be xmas time without the smell of gingerbread in the house.






































This xmas will be special with my newborn baby boy and my husband. I know my child is still too young to really understand what is going on around him but I am happy to introduce him to many of the xmas traditions I know.

The thin crunchy gingerbread (called pepparkakor in swedish and piparkoogid in estonian) cookies are very popular in Nordic countries during the xmas time. They are different from the more soft cookies in Germany and Switzerland.

INGREDIENTS

2dl syrup
2dl muscovado sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground cardamom
 2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
2 eggs
250g butter
ca 700g flour
2 tsp baking powder

Mix the sugar, syrup with spices and bring to boil. Add butter and remove from heat and cool. Add eggs, one at the time. Mix flour with baking powder and add to the syrup mix.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one day and max up to 2 weeks.

Preheat the owen 200 degrees C.

Roll out part of the dough very thin on the lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes and bake in the middle of owen 4-5 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back and a HUGE congratulations on the new addition to your family! What a Christmas present! You're right - the sooner you introduce him to your tradition the better. I wonder what a newborn would sense or be thinking about the smell of ginger cookies in the oven. I know how excited I get! :) Gotta love your gingerbread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you MJ. yes really interesting what those newborn babies are thinking of all the smells around them.

    ReplyDelete